Wednesday 18 March 2015

An apology from Greenpeace

In last week’s Cornish Guardian, there was a news story about an event at Mevagissey, organised by Greenpeace (Tuesday 3rd March). The aim of the event was to promote sustainable fishing, in association with local fishermen.

But the headline was: "Anger as all but UKIP snub coastal champions meeting."

Quotes from within the article included: "Greenpeace said it had invited 'all parliamentary candidates and the local MP’,” and "Will McCallum, a Greenpeace campaigner, said: 'It is extremely disappointing that the MP and the majority of the candidates, did not attend the meeting to hear the fishermen's concerns’.”

I was not happy at the coverage, not least because I had not actually received an invitation to the event. And to be fair to some of the other candidates, Steve Double, Steve Gilbert and Steve Slade, were present with me at a hustings event on the Cornwall College campus in Newquay, between 11.00 and 1.00 on the same day. I don't think that they - like me - could be in two places at once.

I am pleased to be able to report that the Cornish Guardian has today put the record straight and published a letter from Greenpeace which confirmed I had not been invited. It also included an apology to me, for which I am grateful.

No comments: